Thursday, May 22, 2008

Water is better than sex...


Two nights ago I was bedside with Rodney and he was much more alert than he had been in days... THEN HE SPOKE. In a very raspy, low voice he struggled to communicate with me. I'm sure he was annoyed because I kept asking him to repeat. "Rodney, I'm sorry but I don't understand. Say it again." "Baby, I still can't hear you. Try to enunciate..." And then it came. Loud and clear. Rodney said "I'M THIRSTY!" Just to make sure it wasn't my imagination, "Rodney if you just said you're thirsty squeeze my hand." Firm squeeze.
So I ran to get the nurse who disappointingly informed me that Rodney was not allowed to drink anything yet. She also told me that patients are typically thirsty when they come out of their deep sleep. "At this point", she said "water is better than sex." His first request goes unfulfilled. [sigh]

No comments: